VERVE: Online Short Story Writing Competition
Story Writing is an art of communication.
“We are all storytellers. We all exist in a labyrinth of stories. There isn’t a more powerful bond connecting people than storytelling.”
Stories are an indispensable part of our lives and have been woven into the archives of our times. Let us acquire some basics about story writing.
What is Story Writing?
A story is a narrating of actual or fictitious events concerning real or imaginary people. A story requires to be represented in words undoubtedly.
Even pictures or moving images (movies) can reveal a story. A story is normally designed to entertain and/or convey a message across to the viewers.
In Story Writing, a penned story’s length will depend on the construction, whether it is a novel, novella, short story, etc. The length of a story has no significance on its quality.
Take, for instance, the prominent writer Ernest Hemingway. He was challenged once that he could not draft a story in six words. But he presented his story: “For Sale: Baby shoes, never worn”.
How to Write an Effective and Interesting Story?
We will be concentrating on the shorter format of the Story Writing and will take a look at the basic structure of the Story Writing and some points to keep in mind.
Structure/Format of Story writing
While there is no given setup for story writing, there is a fundamental structure one can observe. It serves reasonably to create a story and retains the flow of the story.
In Story Writing, the origin of the introduction of a story is of crucial importance. This is the part where you can secure the reader and capture their attention.
You must have come across some commonly used openings to stories like, “Once upon a time” or “A long time ago”.
Nevertheless, you can become more creative and start your story with suspense or intrigue.
Your story will depend primarily on how competently you formulate your characters.
To strengthen your characters, you can use dialogue exchanges as well. But it would be best if you keep the dialogues restricted in the shorter format.
Also, do not include irrelevant secondary characters; every character of the story must possess a purpose.
Here is where the tangible narration of the story will happen.
The events/situations that transpire or the description of the circumstances will be penned in the plot.
A plot must invariably have a conflict, which is the focus of any story.
This is where the story’s narrative will proceed to its logical conclusion.
If there is a plot twist, this is where you will insert it.
Always interestingly end your story. Additionally, it is not mandatory to give your story a definite ending. A cliffhanger is another powerful tactic.
Competition Rules For VERVE 2021 Story Writing Competition
Much like all the competitions held before on our platform like Impassioned Orator, Katha Sagar, and Creative Quest, Verve also comes along with its rules for competing on a national platform.
There will be 2 categories based on language for submission and individual Jury for both
- ENGCAT- English Category
- HINCAT- Hindi category
The following are the rules for the VERVE 2021 National Online Short Story Competition.
- The competition is open to anyone aged 7 years and older.
- Students are free to take the guidance and help of their mentors for grammar and spell-check.
- Entries can be from anywhere in the world.
- All entries will be submitted online by the form.
- VERVE 2021 National Online Short Story Competition entries must be submitted in an MSWord file, Font- Calibri (Body), 12-point font size.
- There is no limit to the number of entries an individual may submit. Multiple entry forms may be submitted for different stories.
- Entries can be sent in HINDI and ENGLISH language only.
- There will be a separate Jury For HINDI and ENGLISH short stories.
- The standard entry fee is ₹700 per story.
- Three stories entered on the same form will be ₹2100.
- Stories must be no more than 3000 words. The minimum word limit is 1500-2000 words.
- Stories must not have been published, self-published, published on a website, broadcast, or featured amongst the winners in another competition.
- Each page must be numbered and complete.
- The title of the story must appear at the top of each page.
- Stories will not be returned, so please retain a copy.
- Stories cannot be altered once entered.
- All entries will be considered by a panel of judges.
- The members of the organizing committee and the panel of judges are not eligible to enter the competition.
- All the work submitted will be checked on premium plagiarism software like GRAMMARLY and GOOGLE.
- Any plagiarised work will be disqualified along with any other work submitted by the entrant.
- No refund of fees for submitting plagiarised work or nor not submitting your work by the deadline.
What Do Participants Get?
- All participants will get an e-certificate of participation.
- The best short stories that could not make it to the final and missed it by a few points will be included in the Annual Annual E-Magazine.
What Do Winners Get?
The winner of the first, second, and third prize in the Online Story Writing Competition will receive a…
- Trophy, (1st prize only)
- Exclusive Interview with RNTalks, (for all the winners)
- The hard copy of a Certificate Of Achievement (for all the winners)
- Free entrance to the upcoming anthology (for all the winners)
- Inclusion in Hall of Fame (for all the winners)
- Inclusion in Annual E-Magazine (for all the winners)
There will be an additional KHUSHU TROPHY awarded to the best story written by the same author in HINDI and ENGLISH.
The shortlisted stories of the Online Story Writing Competition will be published on the RNTalks website, as a part of an anthology for free, and in a downloadable Annual E-Magazine after the results have been announced.
The competition organizers of the Online Story Writing Competition reserve the right not to award prizes if, in the judge’s opinion, such an action is justified.
Follow The Instructions
✔ The Mode of the Story Writing Competition Will Be Online.
✔ You will be asked to submit your story as a native video only if you are shortlisted as a winner i.e First, Second or Third positions in the Online Story Writing Competition.
✔ Your promotional poster of the Online Story Writing Competition will be displayed on the Official RNTalks Page on Facebook. The link of the same will be shared with you.
✔ Urge your relatives and friends to LIKE & FOLLOW the page so that they can view your video if shortlisted, without any difficulty when it will be released.
✔ You are free to download the promotional poster and use it anywhere on social media to promote yourself. We’ll be happy to see you as a hero on social media.
✔ If shortlisted as a winner of Online Story Writing Competition….
- The video should be a NATIVE video and can be edited when you submit it. Simply shoot the video from your mobile or camera and submit it.
- DO NOT post the video on YouTube and then forward the link.
- The video SHOULD NOT be released on any social media before the contest, while the contest is going on, or even later. You will be provided shareable links for the same by RNTalks.
- Mail your CONTEST VIDEOS to… email@example.com as Google Drive Links, “WeTransfer” or on the given WhatsApp numbers also.
- ALL VIDEOS HAVE TO BE SHOT IN A MP4 FORMAT. IF USING AN IPHONE PLEASE CONVERT TO MP4 FORMAT USING ANY VIDEO SOFTWARE LIKE VIVO. (Videos shot on an Android phone are automatically saved in an MP4 format.)
- Videos should be shot in a landscape/ horizontal position in a 16:9 ratio to get better quality.
- The participant should make sure that the background visible during the participation is decent and there are no disturbances while the performance is going on.
✔ The photos will be collected in google form. You can alternatively send the PHOTOS FOR YOUR PROMOTIONAL POSTERS to… firstname.lastname@example.org or on the WhatsApp number 9648223174 with your name. The SUBJECT OF YOUR MAIL should be “VERVE 2020”
✔ Tips to win will be shared with you by the JURY in ONLINE INTERACTION once you register.
✔ JURY INTERACTION LIVE SESSION IS MANDATORY FOR ALL TO ATTEND
✔ Participants are not allowed to refer to any printed/written material during the presentation.
✔ The registrations for the events should reach us latest by, 26st January 2021 (last date of submission), 23:59 hours.
✔ No late submission will be entertained.
✔ The accepted language will be Hindi & English only. Please refrain from using politics, hate speech, anti-national comments, nudity, or any other sexist words intended to hurt anyone’s sentiments.
✔ RNTalks reserves the right to disqualify or reject any entry if the video is found to be edited at any point.
✔ The last and final decision will be of Jury Members.
✔ RNTalks reserves the right to modify/cancel/postpone the event and related terms and conditions if required.
✔ Separate winner category for KINGSUMO CAMPAIGN winner.
✔ Winners of the event will be awarded a TROPHY and many more surprises as mentioned above.
✔ Please remember that it feels good when you win the trophy but you are NOT a loser if you don’t win it. YOU ARE HERE TO CHALLENGE YOURSELF AND BE A BETTER YOU.
✔ EVERYONE WHO HAS DARED TO PERFORM ON OUR PLATFORM IS A WINNER.
✔ Please don’t insult the intelligence of the Jury or someone’s child by complaining or comparison.
✔ We will not take it in good spirit. Every individual is special to us and YOU are also amongst them.
✔ We don’t award prizes to please people but by the merit earned. So don’t make false promises to your children about winning. Teach them to participate to enhance their skills.
✔ So, let’s enjoy the event for what it stands for… moving from Rhetoric To Nirvana.
Frequently Asked Questions For VERVE (FAQs)
Q1. Who all can participate in this competition?
The competition is open to anyone aged 7 years and older.
Q2. Is it only for Indians for anybody can participate?
Entries can be from anywhere in the world. Foreigners and NRIs are welcome to participate.
Q3. How do we submit our entries?
All entries will be submitted online.
Q4. What are the specifications for online entry?
VERVE 2021 National Online Short Story Competition entries must be submitted in an MSWord file, Font- Calibri (Body), 12-point font size. Each page must be numbered and complete. The title of the story must appear at the top of each page.
Q5. How many entries can a person send?
There is no limit to the number of entries an individual may submit. Multiple entry forms may be submitted for different stories.
Q6. In which all languages are you accepting the entries?
Entries can be sent in HINDI and ENGLISH language only.
Q7. What will be the registration fee for one entry and for three entries?
The standard entry fee is ₹700 per story. Three stories entered by the same person will be ₹2100.
Q8. What is the minimum and maximum word limit for submission?
Stories must be no more than 3000 words. Minimum word limit is 1500-2000 words.
Q9. What are the criteria for submission?
Stories must not have been published, self-published, published on a website, broadcast, or featured amongst the winners in another competition.
Q10. Can we alter the story once submitted or re-submit it again?
No. Stories will not be returned, so please retain a copy. Stories cannot be altered once entered.
Q11. Can the family members of the organising committee and panel of judges participate in the competition?
The members of the organizing committee and the panel of judges are not eligible to enter the competition.
Q12. How do you check plagiarism?
All the work submitted will be checked on premium plagiarism software like GRAMMARLY and GOOGLE WEBMASTER TOOLS.
Q13. What happens if any entry is found to be plagiarized?
Any plagiarised work will be disqualified along with any other work submitted by the entrant.
Q14. Is there any refund of fees?
No refund of fees for submitting plagiarised work or nor not submitting your work by the deadline.
Q15. How will you determine the winners?
There will be a separate Jury For HINDI and ENGLISH short stories. All entries will be considered by a panel of judges.
Q16. If selected as a winner or shortlisted for the magazine then do we have to pay to be included in the anthology?
NO. If selected as a winner or shortlisted for the magazine either way you don’t have to pay to be included in the anthology or the magazine.
Report & Result: VERVE 2020 Online Story Writing Competition
Results and report awaited.